Connection with family and community is at the essence of Indigenous culture. Families that have experienced hardship and stress due to loss, illness, substance abuse or homelessness may need extra support to enable healing and reconnection within their family unit.
InComPro works closely with at-risk families to give them the skills to move forward positively and to develop leadership qualities and strong family bonds that can withstand any future challenges that might come their way.
Through ongoing case management and long-term intervention, we work with families and schools to provide behavioural support, mentoring and role modelling, outreach support as well as support for cultural and community identity and personal values.
- Advocating, referral and links to specialist services
- Positive group mentors, professionals and other role models who have a direct affiliation or link to the participant’s community
- Identify participant’s needs and issues and assist them to address these in a positive way
- Assist the participants to develop and build upon existing support networks
- Provide weekly contact with the participants to develop and build self-esteem and self-confidence
- Improve the participant’s connection to the community and Aboriginal culture
- Encourage and support an increased sense of responsibility to the community in general
- Develop increased awareness of issues that affect Aboriginal people including health, drugs, alcohol, education, accommodation, crime etc.
- Involve participants in workshops and visits from various professionals who deal with the issues faced by the participants
In addition, the program aims to introduce its participants to a range of experiences aimed at:
- Developing their knowledge of their culture
- Building positive images of the self, culture and community
- Showing the participants positive alternatives to harmful activities
- Increasing attendance of students at school
Programs will consist of:
- Young Culture Kingz / Rapped in culture
- Numeracy and literacy
- Cultural identity
- Cultural leadership
- On-site role modelling and mentoring at school
For more information on InComPro’s family services, please contact our Family Services Officer on 7324 5072 with any questions about our family Services.
The provision of culturally customised services, systems and solutions throughout the community, to achieve economic autonomy and cultural freedom by Indigenous Community Professionals.